CHANDIGARH: To ensure fire safety norms are complied with, the Chandigarh Municipal Corporation (MC) is all set to make no objection certificates (NOC) mandatory for residential buildings.
At present, fire NOCs are required for commercial, industrial and institutional buildings.
Taking note of the fact that residential buildings are not equipped with fire-fighting systems, the UT administration has decided to make NOC submission mandatory.
Once the move is implemented, the residents will have to apply for NOCs at the fire department for both old and new constructions and pay the prescribed fee.
Residents would be required to submit the fire protection plan indicating complete fire fighting arrangements and the means of access and escape.
According to the norms, a building must have a staircase for providing access and exit and should be equipped with fire-fighting system such as fire alarm, sprinklers, and smoke or heat detectors.
UT chief fire officer Anil Kumar Garg said NOCs would be required for residential properties on the pattern of other buildings. “It will be made mandatory for all old as well as new buildings,” he added.
Federation of Sector Welfare Associations of Chandigarh chairman Baljinder Singh Bittu welcomed the move but urged the authorities to ensure that the residents do not face harassment at the hands of the officials.
“The process should be made hassle free,” said Bittu.
The issue will be discussed in the house meeting on June 29.
The Chandigarh administration has already made NOCs manding 29, 41, 40, 44, 43, 45, 47, 38 (west), 51, 55, 56, 63 and Modern Housing Complex, with around 64,000 units of 100 different categories.
There are also 112 group housing societies in Sectors 48, 49, 50, and 51 in the city, having over 1,000 flats. datory for basements in residential buildings having area more than 200 square metre by bringing an amendment in the Chandigarh Building Rules (Urban), 2017.
PUDUCHERRY: Continuing with the ‘name and shame’ approach, Puducherry Lieutenant Governor Kiran Bedi today said the territorial government would publish from tomorrow a list of names of those who have defaulted on property tax.
In a whatsapp message to media persons here in this regard, Bedi said the list of defaulters was a follow-up of the ‘mission recovery’ the government launched a few days ago to collect the outstandings from different categories of power consumers.
She said she has held a joint meeting with officials of local administration department and also the president of the Puducherry Traders Association Shankar earlier in the day at Raj Nivas.
It was decided at the meeting that the list of defaulters owing property tax to the local bodies be published from tomorrow, she said.
Over Rs 15 crores as property tax were due to the municipal bodies, she said.
Bedi had said the government would publish the names of defaulters in newspapers and also announce them on FM radio channels.
Also, the Lieutenant Governor said that as against 15,000 shops in the union territory, only 3,000 shopowners were found to have trade licence. The rest would be covered through a special drive so that the revenue of local bodies would improve instead of depending on the government for grants, she added.
Review meetings would be held every month to ensure full coordination and improve financial position of the local bodies, she said.
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: LSG minister KT Jaleel said that ineligible beneficiaries will be excluded from LIFE mission beneficiary list. He was talking at the plan review meeting of local bodies here on Thursday.
“Village extension officers are scrutinising whether undeserving people are included in the list of LIFE mission which has been approved by Gram sabhas. The government will not make changes in the number of houses being constructed. Local bodies can avail the help of voluntary organisations to execute housing projects under LIFE mission.Mahatma Gandhi national rural employment guarantee scheme could also be used for the scheme,” said KT Jaleel.
72 gram panchayats, three municipalities and corporation have finalised the beneficiaries for LIFE mission in the district. 45 panchayats and two municipalities have handed over the beneficiary list to implementing officials. The minister also directed the panchayat secretaries to hand over the beneficiary list in a time bound manner.
4053 houses have been completed under LIFE mission in the district. The work on 1076 houses is progressing. SC department has completed 313 houses and ST department has completed 401 houses in the district.
PUNE: PMC officials have issued notices to 1,472 properties, including bungalows, housing societies and commercial establishments, between June 1 and 22 for facilitating mosquito breeding on their premises.
The city has already registered 160 cases of dengue in the last 25 days, the highest recorded in any month this year so far. Of these, private hospitals reported 141 cases and government-designated centres 19.
“We have started house-to-house survey in the city to identify households facilitating mosquito breeding on their premises. The defaulters have been issued notices, in which they have been categorically asked to prevent mosquito breeding by observing certain norms or face action,” Sanjeev Wavare, head of the insect control department at PMC, said.
Despite notices being served and penalties being levied, there has been no significant drop in the number of properties having mosquito-breeding sites. “We have decided to file court cases against chronic offenders,” Wavare added.
As per PMC record, city has recorded a total of 371 dengue cases this year so far. Of them, private hospitals recorded 324 cases and government run sentinel centres recorded 47. The number of dengue cases has recorded a sharp rise since May. In April, areas within PMC limits had recorded 23 cases, which increased to 54 in May. The cases have gone up to 160 (till June 26) now.
HYDERABAD: The MA&UD department might be keen on creating new urban development authorities, but it seems to have given up on its plans for an integrated Hyderabad Metropolitan Region (HMR) master plan.
Though an exercise to integrate five master plans was taken up three years ago, HMDA junked it a year ago after encountering various problems.
Allegations also abounded about the real estate lobby working against the integration at the government level. “If integration is done, there will be little scope for change of land use. All influential leaders and developers have been getting land use changed without any problem,” said S Ramakrishna, an architect.
There are currently five master plans for various areas at different points of time – erstwhile Huda, CDA, HADA, MCH and extended areas of HMDA.
An HMDA official said integration of various master plans was necessary as different regions have different zoning regulations and land uses, and discrepancies in plans have become a major hurdle for HMDA in giving building and layout permissions.
Integration would have brought uniformity in land use patterns and zoning regulations apart from incorporating various projects, which would have been useful for the next 25 years. Interestingly, the erstwhile Huda, HADA and CDA master plans expire in 2021.
“The plan was to bring all existing plans onto a single platform with the help of GIS data to help HMDA give permissions. With just one click, a planning officer would have got land use details of a particular survey number and also checked if the owner can get permission for a house,” a senior HMDA planning officer said.
HMDA had, a year ago, after consulting various stakeholders, prepared a draft plan that was sent to the state government for inviting public objections and suggestions but the government kept it on hold and asked HMDA to verify the plan on the ground, which it is yet to complete.
HMDA commissioner T Chiranjeevulu told TOI that the revision and integration of master plans is on hold as it will take at least two years. “MA&UD asked us to carry out only corrections in master plans. The entire planning department was busy with clearing LRS files but that LRS has come to an end, we will focus on rectification of mistakes in master plans,” he said.
PANAJI: While GMR Goa International Airport Limited (GGIAL) will build the Greenfield Airport at Mopa, the 81 lakh sqm land acquired for the project will continue to be in possession of the state government, said the directorate of civil aviation.
“The government has only given right of way to GMR Airports with respect to the land for construction of the Mopa airport. Land ownership will remain with the government and the land is not mortgaged by GMR Airports to get a loan from lenders,” the government said in a statement. GGIAL is a subsidiary of GMR Airports Limited.
The directorate of civil aviation issued a statement after Mandrem MLA Dayanand Sopte questioned the government on the issue.
“It is informed that the revenue share payable by the concessionaire to the government is 36.9%,” the civil aviation department said. As per the concession agreement signed with the Goa government, GMR Airports will design, build, finance and operate the international airport for 40 years with the option to extend operations for 20 years.